Pastor Steven was back at it this week with a spot-on word! My notes are below.
- Some of the stuff you’re praying for right now is the same stuff you were praying away a few months ago.
- Why would we serve a God who is known for his resurrection power and continual growth and expect to go back to what we used to do?
- Exodus 14:10-13
- In these verses, Pharaoh represents fear.
- Has “never enough” become our normal?
- When you are afraid you reach for what’s familiar, even if familiar is killing you.
- Sometimes negative feels normal.
- God is doing some of the stuff that we’d asked Him to do, but we don’t know it because we’re asking for it to get back to normal.
- It can be normal for me to have a heart that is at peace.
- When you’re from somewhere else, it changes what you see as normal. Jesus was from somewhere else, and had peace in the storm.
- What if God is trying to bring you into a new normal? i.e. better priorities, the way we treat each other
- What is God calling you to give up to get there?
- Romans 12:1-2
- We call “negative” “normal” just because that’s all we know.
- We get used to things we used to be grateful for and feel entitled to them.
- Your new normal is that you’re forgiven and not condemned, that you are a child of the Most High God.
- Normal is broken.
- What used to be weird is now the only thing that works.
- What was weird then is worship now.
- The world is weird. Faith is normal.
- The unseen is the most significant.
- God cannot bring change while we hold to comfort.
- God is not trying to bring you back to normal; He’s trying to bring you into it.
- What the world calls normal, God calls broken. Not just immune systems, but belief systems.
- Jesus was the only one on the boat who was normal–all the disciples freaking out in fear were weird.
- You can keep waiting, or you can worship. You can resist, or you can receive.
- Blaming someone doesn’t get you into what God wants you to receive.
- You’re never going back to normal. Some of the stuff you thought was normal wasn’t normal, it was old.
- We’ve been praying for familiar but what we really want is freedom.
This was a phenomenal message that I highly recommend you listen to. My family tuned into the 9:30am EST service and pretty much immediately when it was over tuned into the 11:30am EST service to listen to it again.
You can watch it here:
I’d also like to give a shout-out and a thank-you to my little sister, who took the first third or so of notes for me when I had an interruption!