Trust me when I say y’all don’t want to miss this weekend’s church notes because it’s the best message I’ve heard in a while!
My notes on “Backseat DJs” read:
- James 1:24
- Distinction of Joy
- There are trials associated with success and failure.
- You should resist temptations but accept trials.
- James 1:5 — Ask God for wisdom, not people about my problem.
- There’s a difference between joy and pleasure.
- Direction of Joy
- Hebrews 12:1-2
- Your joy is your job; it’s not on anyone else’s job description.
- Pleasure can come with joy but joy is not dependent on pleasure.
- What’s behind you cannot kill you unless you let it.
- How do I keep joy set before me when the world says I should focus on what’s around me?
- Joy is controlled by priorities.
- Joy isn’t necessarily a choice; it’s a consequence. My choices contain consequences; is joy one of them?
- Some of the things we chase destroy our joy while increasing our pleasure.
- If joy is a feeling and I don’t feel it then I lose faith for it because I can’t feel it.
- My joy isn’t in my mood.
- Joy isn’t a feeling; it’s a focus.
- Psalm 16:4
- It’s not a question of God’s presence; it’s a question of mine.
- If my priority is convenience, acceptance from others, recognition, etc, then my joy is tied to whether or not I have those things or circumstances.
- Where it comes from determines when it runs out.
- Duration of Joy
- If your joy is in being right, then your joy will be tied to that.
- John 15:11
- The worst way to find happiness is to try to find it; the best way is to focus on what God has put in front of you.
- Your joy is before you — right in front of your face.
- In presence is the fullness of joy; be present and be present with God.
- Even when you’re not certain of the outcome, you can have joy.
You can watch the full message from this weekend below:
Like the content you see and want to support me? The best ways to do so are to share my blog with your friends and to Buy me a coffee. Thanks for your support!