If you’re new here, every Tuesday I post my notes from church the previous Sunday. You can watch the full experience yourself here every week, but if you don’t have time, I post what songs were played and my notes from the message for you to read.
The first song of worship was “Overcome” by Elevation Worship, followed by “Love Won’t Let Me Down” by Hillsong Young and Free. After that, there was a LOVE week highlights video and a baptism. Then, worship continued with “Mighty God (Another Hallelujah)” by Elevation Worship, which has not been officially released on YouTube by Elevation Worship, and “Do It Again” by Elevation Worship. After a quick word from Pastor Steven and Holly, Ballantyne campus pastor Jonathan Josephs got up to bring us a word from God, “Stay Focused“.
My notes read as follows:
27 This was their report to Moses: “We entered the land you sent us to explore, and it is indeed a bountiful country—a land flowing with milk and honey. Here is the kind of fruit it produces. 28 But the people living there are powerful, and their towns are large and fortified. We even saw giants there, the descendants of Anak! 29 The Amalekites live in the Negev, and the Hittites, Jebusites, and Amorites live in the hill country. The Canaanites live along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea and along the Jordan Valley.”
30 But Caleb tried to quiet the people as they stood before Moses. “Let’s go at once to take the land,” he said. “We can certainly conquer it!”
31 But the other men who had explored the land with him disagreed. “We can’t go up against them! They are stronger than we are!” 32 So they spread this bad report about the land among the Israelites: “The land we traveled through and explored will devour anyone who goes to live there. All the people we saw were huge. 33 We even saw giants there, the descendants of Anak. Next to them we felt like grasshoppers, and that’s what they thought, too!”
- God is always trying to bring us into something, but so often we stand at the edge, never possessing what God has promised us because we lack focus.
- It’s not that you don’t have faith; it might be that you lack focus.
- Focus What You Think
- Context is the key to compassion.
- Numbers 13:18-20:
18 See what the land is like, and find out whether the people living there are strong or weak, few or many. 19 See what kind of land they live in. Is it good or bad? Do their towns have walls, or are they unprotected like open camps? 20 Is the soil fertile or poor? Are there many trees? Do your best to bring back samples of the crops you see.” (It happened to be the season for harvesting the first ripe grapes.)
- My self-consciousness is a result of a failure to be God-conscious.
- When I start thinking about things God never asked me to think about, I start undermining the very confidence I need to move forward into what He’s called me to.
- Every time God gives you an instruction, it’s not because He’s trying to keep you from something, it’s because He’s trying to bring you into something.
- 2 Corinthians 10:5:
” We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ.”
- What if you took time to think about what you think about?
- What you believe isn’t a product of what you see, it’s a product of your focus.
2. Focus What You Hear
- There are some of you that God has put things on your heart, there are things that He’s called you to, and the reason you haven’t had the confidence to do it is because you’ve been listening to voices in your life that are talking you out of what God is calling you into.
- My faith is not determined by what I see, it’s determined by what I hear.
3. Focus What You Say
- The Israelites weren’t deceived in what they saw; they were deceived in what they said.
- Often the enemy will have us looking at a very real situation but coming to a very false conclusion.
- What you say is a reflection of what you believe.
- Numbers 14:8-9:
8 And if the Lord is pleased with us, he will bring us safely into that land and give it to us. It is a rich land flowing with milk and honey. 9 Do not rebel against the Lord, and don’t be afraid of the people of the land. They are only helpless prey to us! They have no protection, but the Lord is with us! Don’t be afraid of them!”
- They repeated the promises of God over their lives.
- What you believe will determine what you see.
The message concluded with a prayer opportunity and singing “Do It Again“.
And that’s it for this week! If you want to watch the full message, you can do so here:
Like the content you see? Like this post and be sure to subscribe to my blog and share it with your friends! Want even more content from me? Check out my Instagram page and Twitter. Want to support me? Buy me a coffee